We have learned not to expect much from The Huffington Post. In fact, we make it a point to avoid it on most days.
But today “HuffPo” published an article by Annalisa Musarra of the “Religion News Service” and we had to read it. It amounts to a celebration of Muslims NOT assimilating into society as a whole. We have seen the effects of that in Western Europe and they are not pretty.
There is a bit of irony here because the whole reason that Shariah-Compliant Finance was originally conceived as “Islamic economics” back in the 1930s was to insulate Muslims from Western economics and finance. Celebrating businesses as “Islamic” would seem to encourage a lack of diversity and serve as a deterrent to assimilation.
There’s another thing we feel compelled to point out about Musarra’s article. She cites a Pew Research survey of Muslims in America released last year. Funny she should mention a Pew Research study of Muslims in America. Pew published another survey of Muslims in America back in 2007. Here are some relevant statistics from that report:
• There are 2.35 million Muslims in America
• 75,000 have a positive view of Al Qaeda
• 120,000 believe suicide bombing against civilian targets is justified in defense of Islam
• 705,000 consider themselves Muslim, not American
• 390,000 believe that Muslims in America should remain separate and segregated from the rest of America
• 825,000 believe that the “war on terrorism” is really a war against Islam
• 645,000 believe that mosques should be political centers
• 420,000 believe that Al Qaeda was not responsible for 9/11
I doubt that any of these statistics would make it onto the Huffington Post web site.
Then there is the video at the bottom of the Musarra article. It features Imam Mohammed Magid of the ADAMS Center mosque. Magid is also the president of ISNA, the Islamic Society of North America. ISNA was identified as a Muslim Brotherhood front group in the largest terrorism financing trial in US history, the US v the Holy Land Foundation. ISNA was also named as an unindicted c0-conspirator in that trial.